Wishing everyone a wonderful Canadian Thanksgiving. Eat well, be well.
Looks like it isn’t ending anytime soon. This time instead of a status update, the spam is hitting people’s wall in Facebook.
I am utterly speechless after reading Marcias weight loss blog facebookhealth4.com go her!! those things really work!
I hope this does not escalate to the level of spam that Twitter gets.
Again, it’s probably the person’s computer infected with some sort of virus or malware. Remember to remind them to scan for viruses and spyware before they embarrass themselves too much!
New mobile phone virus? A message from 3 hours ago in my friend feed (posted via Facebook Mobile) read:
I’m 8 1/2 pounds lighter thanks to the FREE trial pack of this new colon cleanser that I got! visit ExpressColon.net to get yours! zoR
Now, I’m not one to judge, but I’m pretty sure my friend wouldn’t admit to something like this. There are a couple other instances of the message with a variable code at the end… in this case “zoR”
If it is in fact a mobile phone virus, my friend was using an iPhone.
Anyone else seeing messages like this?
UPDATE (03-OCT-09 21:52 EST)
As mentioned in the comments, this is happening to people who do not even own mobile phones. Remember to scan your computer for viruses/malware if your account posted the message. And it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to change your password at this time.
The mobile phone that I ordered from an internet site came in the mail not too long ago. An unlocked Sony Ericsson T707.
It was pretty much a cosmetic upgrade to the phone I had before which is also a Sony Ericsson.
There are a few features that I was looking forward to:
- Threaded SMS: Mmm, chat bubbles.
- Flip/Clamshell Design: I’ve never had one before.
- Faster Bluetooth: My previous phone transferred at something like 15 KB/s. The T707 was pretty fast at 125 KB/s (or more? I forgot already).
- A slightly better camera: Even though it doesn’t have auto-focus…
- It looks sexy.
For some reason, when I got my phone, Threaded SMS wasn’t working. I was reading the user manual over and over:
- Select Menu > Messaging > Inbox the Conversations tab.
- Select a conversation
But I could never find that tab. I even called into Sony Ericsson support and all they said to do was update my software. At the time, it sounded like a plan, but after doing an update, the conversation tab still was not there.
With a bit of internet searching and phone hacking, I was able to turn it on! Here’s how. (NOTE: I’ve only tested this on Windows XP)
What you will need:
- A computer with Sony Ericsson drivers installed. The easiest way to do that is to install the Sony Ericsson Update Software package. You can download it here: http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/support/softwaredownloads
- A USB to Sony Ericsson cable. This didn’t come with my T707. I had it because it came with my older phone.
- A2uploader software. This software allows you to browse your phone’s file system.
- customize_upgrade.xml file. This is the file we will be placing in your file system. Click on the link an then copy and paste this code into notepad and save as “customize_upgrade.xml” on your desktop (or anywhere you want). http://paste2.org/p/335765
I am not responsible for any breakage of cell phones. You are doing this at your own risk.
- Turn off your phone
- Plug in your USB cable into the computer, but NOT the phone (yet)
- Open a2uploader.exe
- Press and hold the “C” button on your phone.
- While holding the “C” button, plug the USB cable into your phone.
- After 3 to 5 seconds, you can let go of “C”
- Click on the “FileSystem tool” button in a2uploader. (it’s on the right side). Some action should be happening on the left side of the screen.
- Once the file system is loaded, browse to the TPA/PRESET/CUSTOM directory. To check if you are in the right place, you should see “customize.xml” in there.
- Drag and drop the customize_upgrade.xml into this folder.
- Click on the “Turn Off FS” button at the bottom of the folder view. (NOTE: The button may be named different, I forget the actual wording. I remember that it is RED though!)
- You can close a2uploader now, if you want.
- Unplug your cell phone and boot it up.
may WILL take longer than normal to boot up the first time because it is loading the new setting file.
Now you can select menu > messaging > CONVERSATIONS. It worked for me! Also, it’s a tabbed area, so if you want to go back to the normal Inbox view, you can just press left or right.
Mmmmmmm… chat bubbles.
I mainly posted this because I could only find it in one place after searching for quite some time. Even still, I got these instructions based off of a Sony Ericsson W508 phone! I took a chance and it worked on my T707 so I hope this is helpful to anyone that is looking for the answers that I was looking for, too.
Original thread I found that had all the information, just kinda’ scattered.
A2Uploader by the_laser
Remember that feeling when your parents started to say the same slang words as you?
I have that feeling with Oprah and the slang is Twitter. Every time she says tweet, I want to punch the Internet… punch it in the face.
So, what’s the next cool thing? Well, reddit.com is still pretty cool. Digg is pretty ruined with bias and ignorant comments (not as bad as YouTube, mind you)
So I have been playing around with Twitter lately and it has been a fairly nice ride. The hardest thing is getting people that I know to join it!
Sure, I have a few people from a forum that I like on Twitter, but no one I know IRL wants to play with it. …they are still stuck on facebook.
I COULD start adding random people… but I want a at least a little connection to them first.
It’s icy. How icy? So icy that it impedes my driving and walking to a turtle-esque crawl. Get it? Good, because that wasn’t a joke. It’s absolutely silly out there.
It’s supposed to rain later today and the tempurature is projected to be in the +3C area… that SHOULD take care of the ice. I hope.
I don’t reaaly understand why people tan. Let me rephrase… I don’t really understand why people fake tan.
You have all seen it. That girl with the orange skin, tanktop and flip-flops That guy with the orange skin, popped collar and chained necklace. It is enough to make me cringe with fear.
Sure, a nice tan looks very attractive and sometimes a little classy… but that’s my bias showing because I have a built in “natural” tan.
Anyway, lay off the “bronzing” and tanning booths get some sun. Here in Canada, you’re not fooling anyone. You know who you are. Wait, you probably don’t since you think popping your collar is hot.